Thursday, July 1, 2010

Mashable's #SMdayTO

It’s hard to find at first. We all know where we should be. We’ve checked in on foursquare, twitpic-ed cupcakes, and @ mentioned everyone we know. So, how do you find an event you’ve only heard about online? I asked the bartender.

For me, #SMdayTO was an opportunity to engage in the world of social media. I don’t own a Blackberry, Android, or iPhone. I have an LG Keybo. I tweet from my Mac Book, I don’t own a multi-million dollar venture capital in Silicon Valley and I don’t know much about graphics or web design, but what I do know is the value of talking with people.

When I tell friends I use Twitter I am often laughed at – the price I pay for being a social media fan I suppose. But, #SMdayTO was different. Using “twitter” in a sentence was socially acceptable vernacular – I was home.
I woke up this morning - reached into my pocket - and found an Independent Contractor, a Culinary Expert, Post-Graduate Students, a Web Developer, and a Growth Coach/Culture Catalyst. Who are these people? I am not sure if I will ever really know, but last night we were all together for the same reason – social opportunity.

I woke up this morning and found two new followers on twitter. Two people I remember meeting and sharing conversation with. I’m not sure if I will ever meet these people again in real-life, but I am certain I will catch a tweet here or there – someone (me) needs to learn how to use filters.

A big thank you needs to go out to @Dan_L for organizing last night’s festivities and if you haven’t already you can add me to twitter @SeanRaposo.

See you all next June 30th, 2011.

No comments: